Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How to Make Diapers at Home Cheap, Cloth, PUL, AIO

Last year, we gave our oldest daughter a sewing machine for Christmas. I had never used one before, but think it is something that my girls should know how to do. This machine didn't get much use, until this fall when she began to take a beginner sewing class. She learned to make a skirt, a fairly simple project apparently, but impressive nonetheless.
We use cloth diapers; have you priced these things lately? They are expensive! My favorites are the Fuzzy Buns with pockets - these sell retail for about $25. I've paid about $12 for Super Whisper Wraps (these are just the outer waterproof wrap, and need a diaper to go along with them).
I know that a package of disposable diapers, yes we have used paper diapers in the past, costs about $12 and lasts about a week. We are expecting our 6th child, and they stay in diapers for 2-3 years, I'll let you do the math here.
It is much more economical for us to use cloth, and I know there are other benefits, but it is the cost factor that motivates us. So, I want to know how to get them cheap or even FREE.
We've received them as gifts, been handed down many from other moms, and I even run across them at yard sales or resale shops every so often (Paying about $1 or $2 a piece).
I know moms that make their own, and I've grilled them on every detail, and checked out many websites claiming to teach you to make your own. This does not seem cheaper to me, PUL is $9 a yard, plus the cost of fabrics and liner materials, plus Velcro or snaps, and elastic too.
So, here is my idea, and I'm putting it out there for all the criticism it can take. I have put out the word that we will take all 'throw away' clothes that people have, items that are too stained or ripped to sell or wear. We are going to pull off every possible reusable accessory that we can; buttons, snaps, zippers, elastic, etc. My cost so far? 0
Then, I am going to use an old shower curtain liner (I see these at yard sales for about 50cents). I happen to have an extra, but I'll call this a cost, it equals about two yards of material. So, 25cents a yard. This will be my waterproof material.
I'm going to scavenge any old thing that has a cute pattern and is big enough for the outer layer, the part that is seen, and plan to use either old towels or fleece, whichever is available for the inner absorbent material.
I plan to have my daughter (with her new sewing skills) sew these three layers together. Then we will add elastic and snaps (taken from the throw away clothes) and have a All in One diaper.
We have just begun to collect materials. I made one wrap this way with just two layers, waterproof and then an outer (from a really cute onesie that was damaged, I used the front and back and the snaps from the center). This wrap worked well for a few uses, but I planned poorly and it was quickly grown out of; I'm saving it for the next baby.
If anyone has done this, made diapers, covers, wraps, or AIOs from FREE materials, please comment here. I would like to know how you did it and so would other moms. Thanks
Corinne Johnson is the author of the Christian unit study series, Vacation Education Books

No comments: