Tuesday, April 15, 2008

tax refun scam please beware

Hello, friends and family,

This is an unusual topic for my newsletter, but I feel like I need to send this out. Over the past few weeks, I have received a phone call several times. It is always a different person, but the same storyline. They tell me that they are calling from the Federal Government about my tax refund. They proceed to explain that I have a $500 tax refund coming.

(Now, if you follow the news at all, you already know that the US government does have a plan to send out refund checks, so this might sound somewhat legit)

Next, the caller tells me that I can get my refund tomorrow as a direct deposit to my bank account.

Sounds great, right?

So, all I have to do is tell them where I want the money deposited....



Here's where things get funky....



I'm not giving out my bank account information over the phone....



Are you?



How about someone you know?



Do you know anyone who might be desperate enough to hope that they might actually get the money?



Do you know anyone who is vulnerable and trusting enough to believe this caller?



After receiving this type of call this morning, I contacted the State Police who said they were already aware of the scam, and the most helpful thing that I could do would be to spread the word.



So, while this doesn't have anything to do with homeschooling, or traveling, or any of the things I normally write about... I do want to share this information with everyone I care about.



It may seem obvious, but these people would quit if it never worked! So, please, don't give your bank account information to anyone who calls you.



Blessings to you all,

Corinne Johnson, author, vacationeducationbooks.com

No comments: