Wednesday, May 14, 2008

For Families, Together is Better

We've been on the road a lot lately, and I often think of things to write, certain that as soon as it slows down a bit and the to'do list shortens, I'll post something great. But, then, here we are, having posted nothing in awhile and knowing I should. But, there is life, homeschooling, online sales, record keeping, website updates, answering emails, shipping products... and in the middle of all that is an almost two year old who demands my constant attention.
Experienced moms know this kid, he couldn't care less about me ten minutes after I leave the room, but acts like he'll die if he's not attached to me whenever he can see me.
He doesn't speak yet, but grunts a lot - if I didn't know better, I might consider him evidence for evolution (today he climbs the walls and furniture, grunts and screams for things he wants - also loves bananas - but over time, he will become a human being. I was gone for five days and he was "just fine" according to dad, but since my return, he is constantly on my hip, and fussing for this or that - all for my benefit, I'm sure.
At the other end of the spectrum is Summer, our oldest, who really proved herself this last weekend. She folded and handed out 300 flyers in two days, stepping out into the aisle to meet people; she didn't let anyone pass her by. She worked to draw people into our booth and sell them on our idea. She was a great help to me, and I look forward to working with her again this weekend.
She and I had the opportunity to spend five days together with everyone else at home working on things that need to be done here. We spent over 24 hours in the car driving, and two full days working the conference booth together. It was a great opportunity for our relationship to grow and for her dad and younger sister to realize how valuable she is around the house. They had to do a lot of extra work to make up for the two oldest women in the household being away.
We pray that our future trips will be together, working apart is hard. We all have a new appreciation for the dynamic of this family and how we work together. Hopefully, last weekend was our last trip apart.

Don't forget to check out our website to see where we will be next; we'd love to meet you. www.vacationeducationbooks.com

No comments: