Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Learning to Cook

This actually happened last fall, but it is such a cute story that I just had to share it.

We spent last week at Grampa Roy's and Gramma Ruby's. Apples were in, and so the girls spent most of their time climbing the tree, picking the apples, peeling and cutting up the apples, and then convincing Gramma to help them with the crust so they could make apple pies. We arrived on Monday afternoon and left on Friday morning, so in the three days in between, they made a total of six apple pies. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it is what they spent the most time doing, especially since we were at Norway Lake most of the day Thursday.

We arrived home Friday evening, and on Sunday Summer was playing around in the kitchen. I asked her what she was doing and she told me that she was making apple pie for Jacob's birthday. AAAAWW, isn't that sweet? Just wait, I haven't got to the punch line yet. Don't skip ahead either, wait for it.

Gramma sent us home with a large bag of apples and so Summer was working away in the kitchen, while the rest of us proceeded to go about our own things.

When it was just about time for dinner, I was upstairs organizing the linen closet when Don brought me a pie tin. It had an apple pie in it which I am quite sure was delicious (I know because I ate a little bite off the edge. I would have had a whole piece except the entire middle was missing. I thought perhaps she had given it to Jacob (he's only one and doesn't have great manners yet) and he ate out the middle, that would make sense.

But, no that's not what had happened.

When asked about the missing middle, and by middle, I mean pretty much the entire pie except the outer edge of the crust, she replied,

"I ate a little to try it and make sure it was good enough for Jacob."

1 comment:

Donna Alice said...

That is a cute story! Sure wish I knew how to bake an apple pie myself--I am totally no good at crusts.