Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Free & Cheap Entertainment

Here I am back to blogging about the book Nickel & Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich (and if anyone is upset that I have been too critical, look at it this way; the more I mention her book, the more often it will show up on a Google search, and that is good for her and her career).
As per the comment on the earlier post: I have not read or looked into the writings of others in the past who have refuted Ehrenreich's findings. I'm not surprised to know that I am not the only voice crying out...
I think all in all, my points keep coming back to issues of decision making. My financial situation is far from perfect, and I can trace every element of it to a decision that I made, for better or for worse. I'm one of those people who actually take pride in not spending money, regardless of my income. I like to see how little I can spend, how long I can stretch the odds and ends in my pantry, etc. I make it a point to learn and put to use all the money saving tricks that I can.
I am at the point in this book where the author takes a day off work and goes looking for cheap or free entertainment. My first thought (especially since she is in a huge city) would be public library. They are loaded with great stuff, and all you need is a drivers license!
She chooses instead to attend a church tent revival, and I'll quote her here, "...sounds like the perfect entertainment for an atheist out on her own."
There's a whole lot that I could say from the perspective of someone who truly believes that my eternity depends entirely on my relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
However, her book and this blog is supposed to be about the financial state of our nation, so I'll just say this...
if your best ideas for entertainment are to go and mock others for their faith...
not very creative and not great journalism either.

No comments: